Shoelaces are the most undermined accessories in the footwear wardrobe. Most people do not consider much brainstorming in determining the best way to lace boots. However, while the correct lacing can enhance your outfit instantly, a wrong lace-up can quickly transform your look into a disaster. So, neglecting such a crucial fashion entity like shoelaces can be a grave mistake.
With evolving fashion, a wide variety of boots, laces, and lacing methods came up on the surface. Among so many available lacing methods, finding the ideal way of lacing for your pair of boots can be a bit challenging. Well, keep your worries at bay. And, come along for satiating your quest of how to lace boots like a pro.
Ways to Lace Boots
A common notion among the masses is that a single style of lacing complements all boots, irrespective of the footwear appeal, fabric, and purpose of using. Well, different ways to lace boots suit different types of boots.
Before exposing the lacing methods for specific types of boots, let’s raise the curtains to reveal an overview of the best boot lacing methods.
1. Straight Lacing
People who love the tidy ways of lacing up their boots must be intrigued to find an answer to how to straight lace boots. Well, straight lacing is one of the simplest lacing and oldest methods. Without any excess, loosely hanging laces from either side, straight lacing provides professional appeal in a go.
Steps for Straight Lacing:
- Begin with inserting the laces through the bottommost eyelets.
- Pull out the left lace end through the above right eyelet, and pull down through the parallelly placed left eyelets.
- Similarly, pull the right lace end through the third left eyelet, and pull down parallelly through the right eyelet.
- Repeat the process of making straight bars till you reach the top.
2. Criss-Cross Lacing
The Criss-cross lacing is the best method of lacing boots for comfort. Criss-cross lacing is not only the most common lace-up method but also keeps the laces secured and off from untying.
Steps for Cross Lacing:
- Insert your shoelace through the bottom eyelets.
- Pull out the left end of the shoelace through the right eyelet and the right one through the left eyelet situated directly above the first one.
- Insert the right end of the shoelace through the left eyelet and the left one through the right eyelet.
- Repeat the process till you reach the end.
How to Lace Boots with Hooks?
Among the various lacing styles, one can easily find the best one for working boots. Lace-up the working boots or hiking boots with comfort kept in mind. To avoid painful blisters during working, the lacing of hook-boots must neither be too tight nor too loose.
There are three boot lacing patterns best suiting the boots-with-hooks, with each of them catering to different needs. To gauge the exact tightness in the hooked-boots, insert your foot in the shoes before beginning to lace-up.
1. Surgeon Knot
Surgeon knot lacing is the most versatile and comfortable lacing method for working boots, keeping you away from slipping.
- Locate the position where your foot begins to flex.
- Right from the above-located position, you begin the surgeon knotting.
- Wrap around both the ends of the laces and pull them down through the above eyelet for securing the surgeon knot.
- Repeat the process with the next knots.
- Continue with the conventional lacing method.
2. Heel Lock
Climbers, runners, and adventurers use the heel locking method usually.
- Begin lacing traditionally, with the top two hooks laced vertically.
- Cross over the laces below, under the just-created vertical laces.
- Do the above step for the other side.
- Pull the laces for tightening the arrangement, and tie the usual knot.
How to Lace Military Boots?
The military boots provide unparalleled comfort, so the military boot lacing must be such to amplify the comfort level of these boots. Among several military boot lacing methods, some of them are aesthetic looking, while others are purpose-driven. Straight lacing, Criss-cross lacing, and ladder lacing methods are the best for military boots.
How to Lace Logger Boots?
The logger boots were made for the logging industry workers and are rugged and robust usually. The logger boots are water-resistant, anti-slipping, and well-made for industrial environments. Understandably, the least reactive and strong-fibred laces are the best laces for boots of such purpose. Pair such strong boots with comfortable lacing for working without worries in harsh situations.
The ladder lacing and 2-1-3 lacing, where the lace-up begins from the three middle hooks, are the best for logger boots. These lacing keep the shoelaces secured and prevent them from untying frequently.
Be the straight laced boots, ladder laced boots, or no tie laced boots are the timeless work and fashion footwear. Sometimes worn as a fashion statement, and sometimes as the protective shield for the foot, boots are multipurpose.